The best part about business? No rules.
Endless possibilities. No right or wrong answers: only directions. You won’t find a perfect formula for success anywhere.
WE THINK THE TRADITIONAL BUSINESS MODEL IS OUTDATED
When we started this agency, we found that nearly all of our work was done virtually – meaning we were serving our clients from any location.
When we realized we could do this without compromising the quality of our work, there was absolutely no questioning it. We were going fully remote.
Of course, we always do our research. Google reassured us and gave us a ton of reasons why we need to be doing this. The world is changing. Hold on and embrace it.
Categorized and cultivated for your convenience, here is everything you need to know:
PHYSICAL AND MENTAL HEALTH BENEFITS
- Happier employees, happier clients
- Healthier relationships and marriages
- Flexibility in daily personal schedules
- Personal and sick days as needed
- Improved diet
- More time to exercise
“People who have the opportunity to work remotely at least monthly are 24% more likely to feel happy and productive in their roles.”FLEXJOBS
GREATER QUALITY OF WORK
- Overcome the geographic talent shortage by hiring anywhere
- Easier to find experts within each vertical
- Pick and choose the right talent tailored to the project
- Hire the best of the best in each industry
- Easily maintain an optimal group with great chemistry
- More engagement throughout projects due to increased transparency
- More time for continuous growth: intellectual and skill sharpening practices
- Employees can work when they are feeling most creative
“You get the best people in the world, not the best people according to geography.”HIVEDESK
- Ability to accomplish more when the psychological feeling of being “on the clock” is removed
- Flexibility to get work done when it best suits the employee
- Online tools make communication, collaboration, management, and sharing a breeze
- Work can be achieved 24 hours a day across multiple time zones
- Fewer, shorter organizational meetings
- Less distractions compared to an office setting
- Team is quicker to respond and answer questions when hiring across multiple time zones
- Less time spent training – written process documents and how-to videos achieve better results
- Work can be submitted whenever, as long as it’s on time
- Contractors get to choose what they want to work on, making them more willing to perform
“[In the traditional agency] twenty percent of the shop are rock stars and then there’s a tired middle and of course the dead weight. Those are the employees that wish they were somewhere else.”HUBSTAFF
- Less overhead: no need to pay rent or utilities, buy furniture, supply food and drinks, etc.
- More money to hire top talent (which can make you more money)
- Hire freelancers and contractors on an as-needed basis
- Improved productivity means less monetary waste
- 1099 contractors don’t require you to pay taxes
- Commuting costs are removed from the equation
- Less robbing of company time: no lengthy conversations about what Pam did last weekend
- Find workers with lower market salaries because they are located in low-cost cities/areas
- No covering the cost when employees take sick or personal days
“Many digital marketing agencies in our survey reported hiring remote employees in lower cost locations; not necessarily overseas but in smaller cities. An agency in New York can save 10-15% on employee costs by hiring an equally qualified worker in North Carolina.”HIVEDESK
- Actually pay employees MORE with the money saved elsewhere – in addition to giving out bonuses for extraordinary work
- Provide employees with gear and equipment to get the job done right
- Subscriptions for company software and tools
- Employees feel more satisfied when they enjoy what they’re doing, translating to increased organizational loyalty
- More time for self-education and personal development
- Reduced stress caused by interruptions
- Freedom to tend to family and friends as needed
- Working long hours or weekends is not encouraged
- No requirement for wearing pants or shoes
“37% of millennials would take a pay cut to work a more flexible schedule.”HIVEDESK
- Lower carbon emissions without the need for commuting by car, subway, plane, etc.
- Reduced traffic and congestion in cities
- Reduced physical environmental footprint by not having an office space
- No utility usage in the office, therefore less energy required to perform the same amount of work
- Less paper waste when most documents can be digitized
- Telecommuters have more time to spend giving back to the environment
“What happens if more people started working remotely? Savings would total $24 billion a year if the practice expanded to include half-time telecommuting among those with compatible jobs (56% of all U.S. employees) and a desire to work from home (85% of employees).”FLEXJOBS
LONGEVITY OF WORK RELATIONSHIPS
- Those who feel good about the work they do, and are encouraged and rewarded for it, are more likely to stick around
- A more laid back bonus structure with intermittent surprise incentives helps nurture long-term commitment
- Only a handful of creators are used repeatedly, meaning sustainable relationships that are more easily embraced
- Client-customer relationships are based on high quality, efficient work
“A robust 68% of job seekers who are millennials said an option to work remotely would greatly increase their interest in specific employers,” according to a survey by AfterCollege, a career network for college students and recent grads. “Policies that cultivate a flexible, fun, and casual work environment have a positive impact.”REMOTE.CO
CULTURE AND DIVERSITY
- Easily maintain company culture without the 9-5 using online communication channels
- Daily/weekly/monthly meetings through video conferencing tools
- GIFs and emojis do a pretty darn good job of displaying emotions
- Diversity of thoughts, ideas, and viewpoints are brought to the table through cultural differences
“Having a team that is culturally diverse allows us to better understand the needs of a larger customer base outside of our immediate areas.”HIVEDESK
- Go places without having to take vacation time
- Live anywhere in the world, as long as the WiFi connection is strong
- Get rich on experiences and meet new people
- Spark creativity by traveling to new locations
“Over the past decade, a rising number of young professionals, primarily from the United States and Europe, have leveraged the use of technology to work remotely and live a nomadic lifestyle.”REMOTE.CO
IT’S PRETTY CLEAR: REMOTE IS A WIN-WIN FOR EVERYONE.
Finding a space to rent? Buying a ping pong table and bean bags for the office? Stocking the fridge with cold brews? Hiring a full-service team?
It sounded nice at first… but, we’d have a pretty tough time competing with remote agencies that produce higher quality work and deliver more results for their clients, in less time.
At UpRoute, we do what feels right and as it turns out, we’re giving employees and clients exactly what they want and need.
Need more proof? Here are our sources:
WANNA HEAR MORE?
Subscribe to our email list for occassional updates, along with thoughts about business and life.